Camp Get-A-Well-A brings the camp experience to kids in the hospital. In 2013, 382 kids from Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare participated in a weeklong camp at our St. Paul campus. In 2014, we hope to see even more kids thanks to two full weeks of camp!
1. What is your role at Gillette? My role at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare is unique. I serve as the director for Camp Get-A-Well-A and I am also a child life specialist at the St. Paul campus one weekend a month. I enjoy working with the multidisciplinary team here at Gillette and learning something new every day!
2. What is your average day like at Gillette? Each day is different. During camp season, you can usually find me in the outpatient waiting room having fun with the campers. Otherwise, I spend a lot of time brainstorming and working out the details for perfect camp themed activities.
3. Do you have a favorite story or memory? This year at Camp Get-A-Well-A we had an amazing campfire sing-along! Campers were rocking out to some of my favorite songs. This special evening was topped off with s’mores in the Ronald McDonald Family Room. I love bringing the magic of camp to the hospital setting.
4. What are some of your hobbies outside of work? I enjoy spending time with family at our cabin up north. When in the Twin Cities, I love exploring new festivals and restaurants. There is so much to do in our backyard!
5. What is one fun fact about you? I am a farm girl from North Dakota turned city slicker. I love the bustling city and also enjoy getting lost in the quiet, calm nature of the country when I visit home.
Check out more photos from this year’s Camp Get-A-Well-A here!