Fun Fact: Ostergaard was crowned Miss Minnesota in 1997.
1. Do you have a favorite Gillette story or memory? In addition to therapy, I regularly see children for psychological testing evaluations. I have a talking hippo in my office, which was a distraction to one of my patients that I was attempting to complete testing with. I pretended to have the hippo whisper to me, nodded in agreement with the hippo, and set it aside informing the child that Mr. Hippo said that he wanted him to complete his testing, and would wait for him on my shelf to talk to him later. The child walked over to me, motioned for me to bend down to come closer to him, put his hand to my ear and very earnestly whispered, “Can you teach me how to talk hippo?” Of course, cherished moments are every time I hear from a parent, “Thank you, that was very helpful,” and get bear hugged around the knees by a child.
2. What are some of your hobbies outside of work? Running and hiking. I also love to travel, especially to the National Parks. I have been to 22 out of 52 and am planning to add 23 and 24 at the end of the summer. Yosemite, Zion, Yellowstone, and Glacier are my favorite parks, so far. If you want to see the glaciers of Glacier National Park, you better go soon. All of the glaciers are projected to melt in less than 10 years. It’s beautiful and I would highly recommend it!
3. Do you have any children or pets? I have a Pomeranian named Daisy. She is very cute!
4. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? I would head to Peru to hike the Inca Trail or explore the Galapagos Islands.
5. What is one fun fact about you? I am many nationalities: Polish, Danish, English, German, French, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh.
Did you know? The Miss America Organization partners with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals to raise funds and awareness for children's hospitals throughout the United States, including Gillette Children’s in Minnesota. Contestants competing in Miss America-sponsored competitions raise donations through appearances and fundraisers that benefit Children's Miracle Network Hospitals and the Miss America Scholarship Fund. In addition, each new Miss America becomes the goodwill ambassador for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals, speaking on behalf of kids treated at children's hospitals and raising awareness around the country.