Meet Us Monday – Kara Souther, Director of the Ronald McDonald Family Room
Next month marks the Ronald McDonald Family Room’s third anniversary! Stay tuned for a special guest blog post from Kara to celebrate.
1. What is your role at Gillete? I am the director of the Ronald McDonald Family Room, which we opened on July 1, 2011 at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare’s St. Paul campus. I have been working with families and the Twin Cities medical community at the Ronald McDonald House Charities-Upper Midwest since 2008.
2. Do you have a favorite story or memory? Holidays are always an extra special time in the Ronald McDonald Family Room because families use our space as a home away from home to celebrate in their own unique way. Plus it’s an added bonus someone is always baking cookies!
3. What are some of your hobbies outside of work? Spending time with my husband, traveling, biking around Lake Harriet, going to concerts, and volunteering for the YMCA and Special Olympics.
4. Do you have any children or pets? We have two cats named Milo and Bjorn. Our first child is on the way—due December 17!
5. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? We love travelling and have been to 16 countries; however, I have not been to Spain, so that’s at the top of my list.
6. What is one fun fact about you? I almost became David Letterman’s nanny in 2007. I interviewed twice and even had lunch with him in his house!
Are you interested in becoming a Ronald McDonald Family Room volunteer? Click here to learn more!