This week we feature one of our many employees who have served our country. Kevin Murphy, M.D., served for 24 years in the Minnesota National Guard; division surgeon for the 34th Infantry Red Bull and served four combat tours in Iraq.
1. What is your position and role at Gillette? I am the Medical Director Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare’s Northern Minnesota Clinics and a pediatric and adult rehabilitation physician providing lifetime care to people of all ages with childhood onset conditions.
2. Do you have a favorite memory? Driving through the Red Lake Indian Reservation in the middle of January; white out conditions, zero visibility, in route to our Roseau outreach clinic. Our team of nurses, medical assistants, orthotists, and equipment specialists were all in the same convoy essentially "bumper to bumper". We could not see the road so we had to drive just between the telephone poles and hope to stay on the pavement. It was then I realized what a dedicated team of professionals the Gillette outreach staff is and the wonderful organization of which we all are blessed to be employed!
3. What are some of your hobbies outside of work? Martial arts and scuba diving (especially in Lake Superior).
4. Do you have any children or pets? Four children; two are adopted from Haiti and two are natural born. I also have two beautiful dogs (black labs); Kelly and Shannon.
5. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? I would go and visit my roots in Ireland.
6. What is one fun fact about you? I can look too serious at times but I am anything but!