On This Page
Pediatric Intensive Care (Critical Care)
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare serves children and teens under 16 who are critically injured, seriously ill, or recovering from major surgery. Our physicians and nurses are some of the most highly trained critical care experts in the Twin Cities.
Located on our St. Paul Campus, our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is an integral part of Minnesota’s first Level I Pediatric Trauma Center, which Regions Hospital operates in partnership with Gillette. Families can count on an environment that not only meets the highest standards of patient care, but also provides comfort and emotional support.
Why Choose Gillette?
- Our caregivers are among the Twin Cities’ top pediatric critical care experts.
- We can meet your family’s needs by offering extensive support services, private patient rooms, overnight accommodations, and a Ronald McDonald Family Room®.
- Our well-designed environment and advanced technology promote healing.
- Gillette also offers comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation and care from a vast array of medical and surgical specialists.
Gillette’s lead pediatric intensivist is an expert at managing the critical care needs of patients who have experienced significant injuries or are recovering from major surgery. He collaborates with a team of critical care physicians, nurses and other highly trained health care providers to provide comprehensive care.
Conditions We Treat
Gillette’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit cares for children and teens who have a wide variety of serious conditions and injuries. The goal of critical care is to stabilize patients so they can continue their recovery and rehabilitation in the inpatient care unit best suited to their needs.
Some of the conditions we care for most often include:
- Brain injury and related neurotrauma
- Spinal cord injury and related neurotrauma
- Other serious traumatic injuries
- Pulmonary (lung and breathing) conditions
- Recovery following extensive surgery
- Severe infections
For more information about the complex conditions we treat at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.
Gillette’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is designed to provide the highest standards of care while supporting families. A calm atmosphere, advanced technology and highly trained experts converge to promote healing and recovery.
Our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit features:
- Large patient rooms, with ample space for high-tech monitoring and patient care equipment
- Glass sliding doors, which allow for close monitoring while promoting patient and family privacy
- In-room overnight accommodations for a parent or caregiver
- Storage space for families’ personal items and food
- Easily accessible amenities and wireless Internet connections
- Access to our Ronald McDonald Family Room®
For more information about our hospital amenities, visit Patient Preparation and Support.
Patients and families recovering from surgery or serious injuries need support in addition to critical care. That’s why we offer comprehensive services that help your whole family.
Some of the support our critical care patients often need include:
- Child life services
- Comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation care
- Craniofacial and plastic surgery
- Level I Pediatric Trauma Center
- Neurology care
- Neuropsychology care
- Neurosciences inpatient care
- Orthopedics care (inpatient or outpatient)
- Psychology services
- Radiology and imaging services
- Rehabilitation therapies
- Ronald McDonald Family Room® services
- School services
- Social work services
- Wound care
For more information about the services we offer at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.
Locations of Service
For all of our locations, visit Directions and Locations.
Find out how we're moving Shivani forward.Read Shivani's Story »