On This Page
Therapeutic recreation helps children, teens and adults who have disabilities become involved in recreational and leisure activities. At Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, our therapeutic recreation specialists provide assessments and recommend programs for adapted sports, including wheelchair athletics.
Our therapeutic recreation specialists have extensive experience working with people of all ages who have disabilities and complex conditions that began during childhood. Our goal is to help all people—regardless of physical abilities and limitations—enjoy an active lifestyle.
Why Choose Gillette?
- Our therapeutic recreation specialists understand the unique needs of children, teens and adults who have disabilities and complex conditions.
- We offer support and resources for participating in leisure activities or improving your health or fitness level.
- Our specialists collaborate to provide comprehensive care.
- We believe that an active life promotes health and happiness.
Services We Provide
Our therapeutic recreation specialists encourage patients and families of all abilities to participate in sports and recreational activities.
We help patients and their families:
- Assess their capabilities and strengths
- Find programs for healthy leisure activities
- Participate in adapted sports, including competitive sports for people who have disabilities
- Discover ways to incorporate activity into daily life
- Practice cognitive (thinking and learning), fine motor and physical skills during physical therapy, to gain skills that can affect participation in leisure activities
- Explore resources for obtaining adapted sports and leisure equipment, such as adapted bikes
For more information about the services we offer at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.