Adult Hospital and Clinic Volunteers
Adult hospital volunteers (18 and over) make an ongoing commitment to support the hospital through acts of service. Our hospital volunteers assist in more than 30 departments, offering support to staff, patients and families.
If you have questions about volunteering at Gillette, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651-578-5004.
Because extensive training is required to volunteer in a hospital, we consider applicants who meet certain requirements. All hospital volunteers must:
- Commit to volunteering 3 hours every week
- Commit to volunteering for at least six months or one college semester
- Be at least 18 years of age (teens who are 15 – 17 may apply for our teen summer volunteer program)
- Be comfortable interacting with children who have disabilities
- Commit to maintaining patient confidentiality
- Pass a Minnesota Department of Human Services fingerprint-based background check
- Provide documentation of a TST (Mantoux) test
- Provide vaccination information
Volunteer Application Process
When we are accepting volunteers, applicants must:
- Complete our online application for adults 18 and over.
- Obtain two non-family references using this reference form.
We will review applications and contact potential volunteers for an interview when we have openings that match the applicant’s interest, skills and availability.
Sample Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteers assist staff, patients and families in a variety of ways at our hospital and outpatient clinics. Below are some of the most the most common volunteer positions that we offer for adult volunteers. We also welcome ideas for other types of volunteer positions. Please contact us if you have questions or a suggestion!
Patient and Family Interaction Opportunities
Volunteers interact with patients and families in a variety of ways. Some of our opportunities include:
- Daytime crafts: Feeling artistic? Offer arts and crafts activities (provided) to patients and their siblings. Craft activities are a great way to interact with our patients and their families! (Weekdays during business hours only.)
- Evening and weekend activities: Assist with providing fun evening and weekend group activities for patients staying overnight in the hospital. Activities might include crafts, parties, movie nights and more! (Must be 18 or older. Evenings from 6 – 8 p.m. or Saturdays from 1 – 3 p.m.)
- Ambassador: Welcome patients and families to the hospital. Assist them with strollers and wheelchairs, escort them to appointments, and deliver flowers and gifts to patient rooms. (Weekdays during business hours only. Must be able to walk comfortably, push wheelchairs and life up to 20 pounds.)
- Waiting room assistance: Greet families in our warm, welcoming, child-friendly waiting room. Assist families, offer directions and help, as needed. Our waiting room is bustling and families appreciate the help! (Weekdays during business hours only.)
- Play date: Entertain children in the hospital by playing games, going for a walk in the hospital, reading books or just being a friendly face! (Weekday shifts. Must be 18 or older.)
- Therapy dog teams: Bring your certified therapy dog to visit Gillette patients and make them smile! (Day or evening shifts. Dogs must be currently certified through a registered organization and have been volunteering for 1 year.)
Many of our opportunities are perfect for people seeking to learn about health care careers. Some of our opportunities include:
- Child life: Thinking of becoming a child life specialist? Explore the profession by volunteering to provide play dates for children in the hospital. Play games, go for a walk in the hospital, read books or just be a friendly face. (Weekday and Saturday morning shifts. Must be 18 or older.)
- Rehabilitation therapies: This opportunity is perfect for physical or occupational therapy students or those thinking about careers in rehabilitation therapies. Assist with setting up therapy sessions and other department support (making copies, running errands, etc.). (Weekdays during business hours and Saturday mornings. St. Paul Campus and various clinic locations.)