Adult Hospital and Clinic Volunteers
Adult hospital volunteers (over age 18) make an ongoing commitment to support the hospital through acts of service. Our hospital volunteers assist in more than 30 departments, offering support to staff, patients and families.
If you have questions about volunteering at Gillette, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651-578-5004.
Because extensive training is required to volunteer in a hospital, we consider applicants who meet certain requirements. All hospital volunteers must:
- Commit to volunteering 3 hours every week
- Commit to volunteering for at least six months or one college semester
- Be at least 18 years of age (teens who are 15 – 17 may apply for our teen summer volunteer program)
- Be comfortable interacting with children who have disabilities
- Commit to maintaining patient confidentiality
- Pass a background check
- Receive a Mantoux test (provided at Gillette)
- Provide vaccination information or be checked for immunity (available at Gillette)
Volunteer Application Process
We are now accepting volunteer applications.
- Complete our online application for adults over 18.
- Obtain two non-family references. Click here to access the reference form.
We will review applications and contact potential volunteers for an interview when we have openings that match the applicant’s interest, skills and availability.
Sample Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteers assist staff, patients and families in a variety of ways at our hospital and outpatient clinics. Below are some of the most the most common volunteer positions that we offer for adult volunteers. We also welcome ideas for other types of volunteer positions. Please contact us if you have questions or a suggestion!
Patient and Family Interaction Opportunities
Volunteers interact with patients and families in a variety of ways. Some of our opportunities include:
- Daytime crafts: Feeling artistic? Offer arts and crafts activities (provided) to patients and their siblings. Craft activities are a great way to interact with our patients and their families! (Weekdays during business hours only.)
- Evening and weekend activities: Assist with providing fun evening and weekend group activities for patients staying overnight in the hospital. Activities might include crafts, parties, movie nights and more! (Must be 18 or older. Evenings from 6 – 8 p.m. or weekends from 1 – 3 p.m.)
- Greeter: Welcome patients and families to the hospital. Assist them with strollers and wheelchairs, escort them to appointments, and deliver flowers and gifts to patient rooms. (Weekdays during business hours only. Must be able to walk comfortably, push wheelchairs and life up to 20 pounds.)
- Guest services: Assist families in our Health Resources and Education center. Help families and staff find information online, create CaringBridge websites or check out books from our library. (Weekdays during business hours only. Basic computer skills required.)
- Waiting room assistance: Greet families in our warm, welcoming, child-friendly waiting room. Assist families, offer directions and help, as needed. Our waiting room is bustling and families appreciate the help! (Weekdays during business hours only.)
- Musicians: Brighten a child’s day by sharing your musical talents. Sing songs or play your guitar or our small keyboard in our waiting rooms. As opposed to a formal performance, the music should provide background music or interaction with the children. (Weekdays during business hours only. Non-professional musicians only.)
- Play date: Entertain children in the hospital by playing games, going for a walk in the hospital, reading books or just being a friendly face! (Weekday, evening or weekend shifts. Must be 18 or older.)
- Therapy dog teams: Bring your certified therapy dog to visit Gillette patients and make them smile! (Day or evening shifts. Dogs must be currently certified through a registered organization and have been volunteering for 1 year.)
Career-Focused and Office Support Opportunities
Many of our opportunities are perfect for people seeking to learn about health care careers or gain valuable office experience. Some of our opportunities include:
- Child life: Thinking of becoming a child life specialist? Explore the profession by volunteering to provide play dates for children in the hospital. Play games, go for a walk in the hospital, read books or just be a friendly face. (Weekday, evening or weekend shifts. Must be 18 or older.)
- Assistive technology: Assist our orthotists and prosthetists. (Weekdays during business hours only. Not an internship. Must be in the last half of an orthotic/prosthetic training program.)
- Office support: Assist staff in various departments with clerical needs. Opportunities might include helping in our hospital school, New Patient Services department or Nursing Education and Practice department. (Weekdays during business hours only. Computer and basic office skills required.)
- Radiology and imaging (X-ray): Assist with digitizing X-ray films for our busy department. (Weekdays during business hours only.)
- Rehabilitation therapies: This opportunity is perfect for physical or occupational therapy students or those thinking about careers in rehabilitation therapies. Assist with setting up therapy sessions and other department support (making copies, running errands, etc.). (Weekdays during business hours and Saturday mornings. St. Paul Campus and various clinic locations.)
- Materials Management: Help our hospital run more smoothly by assisting with stocking shelves, filling supply orders and delivering supplies throughout the hospital. (Weekend day shifts available. Must be able to walk comfortably, push carts, reach above the head, and life up to 30 pounds. Basic computer skills required.)
Because all children deserve a lifetime of amazing health care.Why Gillette »