Meet Us Monday- Nicole Hickman, Registered Nurse
1. What is your position and role at Gillette? I am the day charge nurse on the adult unit. I am here usually Monday through Friday and work as a resource and advocate for families, patients, and the staff on the floor. I do a lot of troubleshooting each day to find solutions to questions/issues that arise. I love this position since I am able to be bedside with the patients at times, but also help a lot with care coordination by working with all the different disciplines at Gillette and with the patients and families themselves.
2. Do you have a favorite Gillette story or memory? Two instances that come to mind are actually patients that were on our unit during the last moments of life. These patients were put on hospice care on our unit and although it is a very difficult time for family and friends, it can be very humbling and such a privilege to work with patients during this time in their journey. After the passing of one of these patients, I was able to be present with the family and chaplain as we prayed over a patient after his death. This moment will always be special to me—to be able to shed tears, mourn, and celebrate a patient’s wonderful life, their transition to the next stage in their journey, and the impact that they made on all the people that surrounded them.
3. What are some of your hobbies outside of work? My kids keep me pretty busy at home! This summer my husband and I created a bucket list for activities for the summer: camping, a Twins game, the Minnesota Zoo, the Children’s Museum, the beach, mini-put golfing, the Raspberry Festival parade in Hopkins.
4. Do you have any children or pets? I have two boys – Henry (almost 3-years-old) and Charlie (9 months). Henry is a non-stop talker and so funny! He makes my husband and I laugh on a daily basis. Charlie just started crawling and is enamored by our chocolate lab, Meiko.
5. What is one fun fact about you? I lived in five different states as a kid. My dad was in the navy, so I grew up as a military brat. We lived in California, Tennessee, Florida, and North Carolina before we moved to Minnesota when my dad retired. I think I will always want to be close to family since we lived far away from our extended family for so many years!