What Is Rheumatology?
Rheumatology is the branch of medicine concerned with diseases that affect the joints, muscles, bones and immune system.
Conditions Rheumatology Treats
Pediatric rheumatology evaluates and treats children and teens who have a wide variety of complex rheumatic and inflammatory conditions.
Some of the most common conditions rheumatology treats include:
Tests and Treatments
Some of the tests and treatments that might help your child include:
- Comprehensive laboratory tests, such as radiology and imaging studies.
- Orthopedic tests by orthopedists, to improve body mechanics.
- Immune-suppressive and anti-inflammatory medicines, including medicines administered via infusion therapy and joint injections.
- Custom braces (called orthoses) to improve joint function.
- Physical therapy.
- Occupational therapy.
- Nutrition and feeding services.
As leaders in providing rheumatology care for children and teens, specialists at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare use the best available methods to diagnose and treat symptoms of inflammatory conditions. You and your child will work with a rheumatology team of pediatric experts at Gillette who specialize in complex rheumatic and inflammatory conditions, including juvenile idiopathic arthritis, lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus) and juvenile dermatomyositis.
Children who have rheumatic or inflammatory conditions often have many needs in addition to rheumatology care. We organize our services around the treatment of the complex conditions that can accompany rheumatic conditions, to serve your child in a way that’s both comprehensive and convenient.
Our rheumatologists often collaborate with providers in the following specialties: