On This Page
Pulmonology and Respiratory Care
Many people who have disabilities and complex injuries experience respiratory challenges related to their conditions. At Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, we offer pulmonology and respiratory care for children, teens and adults who have underlying conditions that hamper respiratory function, such as muscular dystrophy and spinal cord injuries.
Our pulmonologists and respiratory therapists also collaborate with other Gillette providers to develop custom treatment plans for every patient. Through Gillette Lifetime Specialty Healthcare, we provide care for patients whose needs continue into adulthood.
Why Choose Gillette?
- Our pulmonologists and respiratory therapists understand the unique needs of children, teens and adults who have disabilities and complex injuries that affect breathing.
- We offer pulmonology and respiratory care as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Our facilities and technology are designed specifically for people who have disabilities and complex injuries, including a pediatric intensive care unit that specializes in caring for patients who have complex needs.
- We believe that people who have disabilities deserve a lifetime of excellent health care—from birth through adulthood.
Gillette’s pulmonologists and respiratory therapists have extensive experience working with children, teens and adults who have disabilities and complex conditions. We also collaborate with providers in a variety of specialties to provide comprehensive care for our patients.
To search for additional providers, visit Our Care Team.
Conditions We Treat
Gillette’s pulmonology and respiratory care team treats challenges associated with a wide variety of complex conditions and injuries.
We most often see patients who have the following conditions:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy and other neuromuscular conditions
- Spinal cord injury and related neurotrauma
For more information about the complex conditions we treat at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.
Tests and Treatments We Offer
Our pulmonologists and respiratory therapists work closely with patients and families to plan treatments that maximize lung function and slow deterioration. We perform on-site pulmonary function testing to help determine a patient’s needs. Sleep studies can also be helpful in pinpointing problems associated with breathing at night.
At times, we recommend medications to manage symptoms. Respiratory devices and assistive technology also can help patients who need more extensive respiratory support.
Some of the specific tests and treatments we offer or collaborate to provide include:
- Medical management of respiratory challenges
- Pulmonary function testing
- Respiratory support devices
- Sleep study (polysomnography)
- Tracheostomy and airway management
For more information about the tests and treatments we offer at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.
Because all children deserve a lifetime of amazing health care.Why Gillette »