On This Page
At Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, our social workers specialize in helping families through the psychological and social effects of managing their health care needs. We help patients and families adjust to new diagnoses or injuries, coordinate their care, cope with life and health transitions, and locate community resources.
All of our social workers are licensed by the Minnesota Board of Social Work, and many are clinically licensed as well. Our goal is to promote collaboration among patients, families and health care providers. In addition, we help you find resources related to social services, financial assistance programs, personal care assistance, therapy services and education.
Why Choose Gillette?
- Our social workers understand the unique needs of people who have disabilities and complex conditions.
- We believe that preparation and support can reduce stress and promote healing.
- We can help coordinate your care and community needs.
- Our specialists collaborate to provide comprehensive care.
Services We Provide
Our social workers provide emotional support and practical guidance for people who have disabilities that began in childhood. We help patients and families navigate the often complex world of health care and community resources.
Our services include:
- Assessment of psychosocial needs
- Assistance with practical needs, such as obtaining medical equipment, temporary lodging or overnight accommodations in Gillette’s Ronald McDonald Family Room™ (inpatients only)
- Counseling about issues of grief, loss and transition
- Crisis intervention, including addressing issues of family violence and abuse
- Education and assistance related to questions about guardianship
- Information and referrals to hospital and community resources (e.g. financial assistance, county services, information on guardianship, etc.)
- Short-term counseling to assist with emotional and psychological distress related to health care
- Support in preparing for discharge following a hospital stay
- Therapy (including play therapy) related to health conditions for children, adolescents and parents or caregivers
In addition, we help patients and their families prepare for the transition to adulthood, adult-focused services and care at Gillette Lifetime Specialty Healthcare.
For more information about the tests and treatments we offer at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.
Locations of Service
763-496-6000 or 888-218-0642 (toll free)Learn More »
952-936-0977 or 800-277-1250 (toll free)Learn More »
651-291-2848 or 800-719-4040 (toll-free)Learn More »
651-636-9443 or 800-578-4266 (toll free)Learn More »
218-728-6160 or 800-903-7111 (toll free)Learn More »
Services vary by location. For all locations, visit Directions and Locations.
Because all children deserve a lifetime of amazing health care.Why Gillette »