On This Page
Medical Genetics and Genetic Counseling
Advances in medical genetics and genetic testing are leading to a greater understanding of many conditions, including muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, Rett syndrome and other complex disorders. At Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, our geneticists and genetic counselors can assist with diagnosis and help families understand their risk of passing genetic conditions to future generations.
Geneticists and genetic counselors also can provide therapies and recommend treatment options to other providers on the care team. By collaborating with a vast team of specialists, we provide comprehensive care for every patient.
Why Choose Gillette?
- Our geneticists and genetic counselors understand the unique needs of children who have disabilities and complex conditions.
- We provide medical genetics as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Our experts specialize in the latest diagnostic procedures and standards.
- We offer geneticists and genetic counselors who partner with leading laboratories and universities across the globe.
- Our facilities are designed specifically for people who have disabilities and complex conditions.
Gillette’s team of geneticists and genetic counselors has extensive experience working with children, teens and adults who have disabilities and complex conditions. We also collaborate with providers in a variety of specialties to provide comprehensive care.
To search for additional providers, visit Our Care Team.
Gillette’s geneticists and genetic counselors assess risk and help diagnose a wide variety of conditions.
We provide counseling and diagnostic support for:
- Apert syndrome, Pfeiffer syndrome and other congenital syndromes
- Cleft lip and palate
- Muscular dystrophy
- Myotonic dystrophy
- Neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis and other neurocutaneous conditions
- Osteogenesis imperfecta
- Prader-Willi syndrome
- Rett syndrome
- Spinal muscular atrophy
For more information about the complex conditions we treat at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.
Tests and Evaluations We Offer
Our geneticists and genetic counselors review a family’s medical history and the results of previous tests. After a consultation, we can conduct genetic or DNA testing to help pinpoint a diagnosis.
Narrowing a diagnosis can identify patients who might benefit from specific medications or novel treatments, qualify for participation in research studies, or improve their abilities or quality of life with the help of other services.
Because genetic testing can be expensive and time consuming, our geneticists and genetic counselors continuously review the latest research to choose the best testing methods. We also collaborate with leading laboratories and institutions around the world.
Genetic examinations can help determine whether other family members are at risk for developing a condition or passing it on to their children. Our expertise and counsel can help families assess treatment options and take steps to reduce risks.
For more information about the tests and treatments we offer at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.
Gillette’s geneticists and genetic counselors collaborate with a wide range of specialists to plan comprehensive care for each patient.
We work closely with specialists in:
- Craniofacial and plastic surgery
- Neurodevelopmental pediatrics
- Pediatrics and general medicine
- Rehabilitation medicine
For more information about the services we offer at Gillette, search Conditions and Care.
Because all children deserve a lifetime of amazing health care.Why Gillette »