Your surgical team recommends that you cleanse your skin and/or wash your hair with a special shampoo before your upcoming surgery. The recommended preparation process reduces bacteria on your skin and in your hair, which decreases the chance of infection.
We’ve given you products to cleanse your skin and/or wash your hair, depending on your surgery.
- For surgery from the chin up: Techni-Care PCMX Surgical Scrub
- For surgery from the chin down: 4% CHG Skin Cleansing Kit
If you’re allergic to chlorhexidine (Hibiclens): Do NOT use the CHG Skin Cleansing Kit. You may use the PCMX Surgical Scrub to wash your hair, but use your regular soap to cleanse your skin.
Your surgical team recommends you perform the skin and hair preparation process TWICE:
- The night before surgery
- The morning of surgery
For the products we’ve given you, follow ALL of the following steps.
- Wash with your regular soap and shampoo. Use them as you normally would, then thoroughly rinse them off your body and out of your hair.
- If we gave you Techni-Care PCMX Surgical Scrub, use it to wash your hair and face. Use the product as you would use your normal shampoo. Thoroughly rinse it out of your hair. Note: The PCMX Surgical Scrub is safe for mucous membranes, and it’s only a mild eye irritant.
- If we gave you a 4% CHG Skin Cleansing Kit, use it on your skin. Use one package of this product on the night before surgery. Use the other package on the morning of surgery. Do NOT use the CHG Skin Cleansing product on your: Head, Face, Eyes, Ears, Mouth, Genital area. Use the CHG Skin Cleansing Kit to wash other areas of your body from the chin down. Follow instructions on the waterproof card included in the package. You may also watch an instructional video at www.CloroxHealthcare.com/SkinCleansing.
- Pat yourself dry with a clean towel. Put on clean clothes or pajamas. After using the 4% CHG Skin Cleansing Kit, do NOT use regular soap, shampoo, perfumes or lotion. The effects of the skin and hair preparation process last for hours.
If you have questions about the skin and hair preparation process, call our pre-op office at 651-229-3918.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of your health care providers. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or others on your health care team.