The family council helps Gillette promote patient and family-centered care by:
- Strengthening communication among patients, families, caregivers and staff
- Collaborating with staff to improve the quality of care at Gillette
- Helping identify opportunities to improve patient and family satisfaction with the care they receive at Gillette
- Offering input to leaders regarding the planning and evaluation of facilities and services at Gillette
What Is Family Council?
The Family Council serves as an advisory resource for administrators, programs, departments, publications, committees and projects at Gillette. This means the members:
- Assist in evaluating existing or new programs
- Respond to requests for feedback on Gillette plans and programs
- Review and offer suggestions on patient-education materials
- Review and offer suggestions on relevant policies
How Does Family Council Work?
Family Council consists of about a dozen members who make a commitment to serve for two years. The council meets monthly in the evening. Members will receive reimbursement for mileage as well as funding assistance for child-care expenses associated with participating on the council.
What to Expect
Family council members need to:
- Be committed to improving care for all Gillette patients
- Show concern for more than one issue or agenda
- Be dedicated to Gillette’s mission
- Share experiences, opinions and suggestions in a constructive way
- Interact well with people from different backgrounds
- Listen to other parents, other families and Gillette staff
- Participate in an orientation before attending a council meeting
- Attend monthly meetings
- Read materials in preparation for meetings and respond to email and voice mail messages
- Remain on the council for a two-year term
Application and Orientation Process
Potential family council members must complete and submit an application. Applications are accepted from July 1 through October 31 each year. Interviews and final selections occur in November. New family council members begin their two-year commitment in January. The first meeting of the year will be used for orientation and introductions of new and current members.
For More Information
For more information about the family council, please contact the council’s facilitator:
Steve McCarthy, 651-578-5231 or SteveWMcCarthy@gillettechildrens.com