What Is Therapeutic Recreation?
Therapeutic recreation activities help children and teens who have disabilities get involved in recreational and leisure activities. The goal of therapeutic recreation programs is to help all people—regardless of physical abilities and limitations—enjoy an active lifestyle.
How Therapeutic Recreation Can Help
A recreational therapist can work with you or your child to:
- Assess their capabilities and strengths.
- Find programs for healthy leisure activities.
- Help them participate in casual or competitive sports adapted for people who have disabilities.
- Plan ways to include more activity into daily life.
- Practice cognitive (thinking and learning), fine motor and physical skills during physical therapy, to gain skills that can affect participation in leisure activities.
- Access opportunities and equipment for adapted sports and leisure, such as adapted bikes or wheelchair athletics.
The recreational therapists at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare have extensive experience working with people who have disabilities and complex conditions.