Planning for Surgery
After your surgery is scheduled, you will be given specific instructions about how to prepare for surgery, such as when to stop eating and drinking before surgery and when to come to the hospital.
A child life specialist will likely meet with you to teach you about and help you prepare for your procedure.
Take a bath or shower the night before your surgery with a special soap called Hibiclens (Chlorhexadine). The soap can be found at your local drugstore.
If applicable, bring the following items with you:
- Braces, hand splints, knee immobilizers, ankle foot orthoses, etc.
- Equipment such as a walker, wheelchair or crutches
- You will be admitted to an inpatient unit for five to seven days.
- You will receive medicines for pain relief.
- You will have an abdominal binder on to support the intrathecal baclofen pump area and prevent swelling. (You will be discharged with this binder.) You will wear the binder for 6-8 weeks after surgery, until the incision is fully healed. You may remove it for bathing once bathing is allowed.
- You will need to remain flat in bed for three days after your surgery.
- Physical therapists will visit you at your bedside two days after your surgery. When you can get up, they will help you get back to doing your usual activities.
- Your health care providers will assess your muscle tone and talk with you and your physical therapist to make decisions about your intrathecal baclofen dose.
- You will be discharged from the hospital when you:
- are comfortable
- are able to participate in your usual activities
- have good control of your muscle tone
- This will likely be around five to seven days after your surgery.
- Before you go home, we will teach you how to take care of your self after surgery.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of your health care providers. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or others on your health care team. If you are a Gillette patient with urgent questions or concerns, please contact Telehealth Nursing at 651-229-3890.