Hip-Knee-Ankle-Foot Orthosis (HKAFO)
The HKAFO is a custom-molded plastic shell with contoured metal uprights and a pelvic band that provides support and correction to the hip, knee, ankle and foot. An HKAFO improves body alignment and posture, increases bone and muscle strength, and enhances independence and self-esteem.
Reciprocating Gait Orthosis (RGO)
The RGO is a custom-molded plastic shell with contoured uprights and a special pelvic band with hip joints interconnected by cables. The RGO provides support and mobility to the hip, knee, ankle and foot. It improves body alignment and posture, increases bone and muscle strength, and enhances independence and self-esteem.
Putting on your HKAFO and RGO
- Open the Velcro closure straps.
- Place the device on its back on a flat, stable surface.
- Unlock all knee joints and hip joints. This will help make sure the child is properly seated and positioned in the orthosis.
- Apply the full-length socks your orthotist provided.
- Gently lay the child into the orthosis.
- Check to ensure child’s heels are completely seated in the orthosis.
- Secure all fabric fastener closures starting at the feet and working your way up.
- Lock hip and knee joints, and then doublecheck them to make sure they are locked.
- Slowly lift child and place in a walker or assisted standing area.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of your health care providers. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or others on your health care team.If you are a Gillette patient with urgent questions or concerns, please contact Telehealth Nursing at 651-229-3890.