- We help you set up a lifeIMAGE account.
- Once images are in your account, you can view them on any Internet-connected computer. You can also view them on a smartphone or tablet through an app (for Apple devices) or Web browser (other devices).
- If you have images from other organizations on CDs or DVDs, you can upload those into your account.
- If you want a Gillette doctor to see an image that you uploaded from a CD or DVD into your account, you can share that image with Gillette’s Imaging dept. We then copy it to Gillette’s PACS (our medical image storage system), which all Gillette health care providers can access.
- If you want to share an image from your account with someone else (for example, a family member or another health care provider), you have several options:
- Attach the image to an email.
- Download the image to a CD, DVD or flash drive.
- Log into your account from a computer or mobile device while that person is with you.
- With images in a lifeIMAGE account, you are in control of your images. You decide who can see them, and when.
- Images in your lifeIMAGE account are secure, protected by security systems similar to those used for online bank accounts. Personal information in your account is encrypted. Gillette is required by law to protect it and keep it private.
- You can easily show images to your health care providers during appointments. This can be especially useful during unexpected or emergency visits, and when you seek medical help while you’re out of town.
- Unlike having images on film or a CD/DVD, your images can be available in multiple locations at the same time. For example, you can simultaneously share an image with doctors at several different clinics.
- Online access to images is more reliable than storing them on CD/DVDs, which can be damaged or lost. Also, some computers have trouble opening medical image files on CD/DVDs, but they should have no problem displaying images in a lifeIMAGE account.
- Go to the Imaging reception desk (St. Paul campus, 4th floor) or call 651-229-3816. Tell us you’d like a lifeIMAGE account.
- Request the image(s) you want in the account. Your first image(s) must have been originally captured at Gillette.
- We give you a printout that includes
- An exam ID number for each image you want in the system.
- A password you’ll need when you sign up online.
- Within 30 days of receiving that information, go online to sign up for your account. Enter your exam ID(s) and password, then provide some information about the patient. (During the sign-up process, you create a new password for continued account access.)
- If any image you’ve requested was recently captured, you need to wait three days before you can view it in your lifeIMAGE account.
Viewing Your Images
On a Computer
When you log into your lifeIMAGE account through a Web browser on any Internet-connected computer, you can view any image that’s been loaded into the account. You see a list of your loaded images in your InBox (similar to an email system).
On Mobile Devices
- Apple devices: After you’ve created a lifeIMAGE account on a computer, you need an app to view your images on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Download lifeIMAGE Mobile (a free app) from the App Store. Enter your account information (email and password) and create a description for your account (“My Images,” for example). Then you can see images in your inbox. You can’t share, download or upload images through the app.
- Other mobile devices: Access your lifeIMAGE account through a Web browser, just as you do on a computer.
If you want to add more images to your account, you have two options:
- Images captured at Gillette: Ask Gillette Imaging to copy images into your lifeIMAGE account. For each image you request, we give you an exam ID, which you need to enter online in order to load that image into your InBox.
- Images from elsewhere: Place a CD or DVD containing medical images into your computer. Then, while logged into your lifeIMAGE account, you can upload those images. Click Get exams, then click Launch CD uploader, then follow onscreen instructions.
Once you have a lifeIMAGE account, whenever you come to Gillette to have new images captured, you can request to have those images added to your account right away. If you do that, the images will become available for you to view three days after they’re captured.
- In addition to medical images, your account can hold documents associated with those images. You can also share those documents with others.
- Gillette is offering access to this service as part of a pilot program administered by the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) and funded by the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB), part of National Institutes of Health (NIH). Gillette was among the first six health care organizations—and was the first pediatric institution—to take part in the pilot and offer the service to its patients.
- Your lifeIMAGE account will remain active and free for at least two years after you sign up. Depending on the outcome of the pilot and other factors, the service may remain available and free beyond that date.
If you lose the exam ID and/or password you need to activate your lifeIMAGE account, or if you wait more than 30 days to access the first images Gillette sends to your account, contact Gillette Imaging at 651-229-3816.
While logged into your lifeIMAGE account, click Help (upper right of screen) for assistance with the online system.
If you have questions or problems with the operation of your online image storage system, contact lifeIMAGE support at:
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of your health care providers. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or others on your health care team.