Sinus Precautions Following Oral Surgery
1. Patients should avoid the use of straws.
2. Patients should avoid blowing their nose.
3. All prescribed medications should be dispensed as directed:
- Oral antibiotic regimen: this depends on the patient. Not everyone will be prescribed an oral antibiotic. If you are, please take them as directed.
- Decongestant: Afrin (oxymetazoline nasal, either prescribed or over the counter) 2-3 sprays into each nostril twice daily for 3 days
4. Patients should avoid the following activities:
- Playing wind instruments
- Opening the mouth wide
- Sneezing through the nose (instead, encourage sneezing with mouth open)
- Exercising (light exercise is okay!)
5. Encourage a liquid or soft food diet.
6. Continue at home oral hygiene regimen with direct assistance.
7. Exercise caution while cleaning around the surgical site.
8. Be observant of post-operative bleeding; it is not uncommon to have a slight amount of bleeding from your nose for several days.
- Sinus Precautions Following Oral Surgery - Spanish
- Sinus Precautions Following Oral Surgery - Somali
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of your health care providers. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or others on your health care team. If you are a Gillette patient with urgent questions or concerns, please contact Telehealth Nursing at 651-229-3890.