Therapeutic Recreation Internships
We are not currently accepting application materials.
This internship will fulfill the clinical internship experience required by National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) for students pursuing the Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) Credential.
What to Expect
During the internship, students will have the opportunity to observe and/or assist Therapeutic Recreation specialists in evaluating, treatment planning, conducting interventions and evaluating outcomes of the patient. Other experiences will include documenting all patient encounters, working with adaptive leisure equipment, conducting leisure education and providing resources for the community.
Upon completion of the 14-week program, interns will be familiar with:
- Adult and pediatric populations.
- A wide variety of congenital conditions and disabilities.
- Inpatient and outpatient scenarios.
- Interdepartmental communication.
- Applying the APIE-D process
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA).
- Various adaptive equipment for recreation inclusion
Interested candidates are required to meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in a baccalaureate degree or higher with a major in Therapeutic Recreation/Recreational Therapy; or a major in recreation or leisure with an emphasis in Therapeutic Recreation/Recreational Therapy.
- Have completed all pre-requisite coursework for the internship course.
When to Apply
Please refer to the top of this page to determine if applications are currently being accepted.
Applications will be accepted up to 6 weeks prior to the anticipated start date for the internship course semester. Special consideration may be made for programs that have requirements that don’t fit this time frame.
A virtual video interview may be requested.
Interested candidates should be able to commit to a full-time internship (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Gillette will accept interns based on resume quality, interview completion/outcome and time frame availability.
How to Apply
Applicants must provide the following materials:
- A resume.
- Letter of intent.
A confirmation email will be sent one-two weeks after we receive your application.
Submit your application via one of the following methods:
- Email: Recreation@gillettechildrens.com
- Fax: 651-602-6891
Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare
Attention: T.R. Internship Coordinator
200 University Ave. E.
St. Paul MN 55101