Adult Hospital and Clinic Volunteers
Adult hospital volunteers (18 and over) make an ongoing commitment to support the hospital through acts of service. Our hospital volunteers assist in many departments throughout Gillette, offering support to staff, patients and families.
If you have questions about volunteering at Gillette, email email@example.com or call 651-578-5004.
Because extensive training is required to volunteer in a hospital, we consider applicants who meet certain requirements. All hospital volunteers must:
- Commit to volunteering 2-4 hours every week
- Commit to volunteering for at least 100 hours
- Be at least 18 years of age (teens who are 16 or 17 may apply for our student summer volunteer program)
- Be comfortable interacting with children who have disabilities
- Commit to maintaining patient confidentiality
- Pass a Minnesota Department of Human Services fingerprint-based background check
- Provide vaccination information, including but not limited to documentation of COVID-19 vaccine, Influenza vaccine, and documentation of QuantiFERON®-TB Gold blood test (QFT-G) within the last 30 days.
Volunteer Application Process
When we are accepting volunteers, applicants must:
- Complete our online application for adults 18 and over.
- Obtain two non-family references using this reference form.
We will review applications and contact potential volunteers for an interview when we have openings that match the applicant’s interest, skills and availability.
Sample Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteers assist staff, patients and families in a variety of ways at our locations. Below are some of the most common volunteer positions that we offer for adult volunteers. Please contact us if you have questions.
Patient and Family Interaction Opportunities
Volunteers interact with patients and families in a variety of ways. Some of our opportunities include:
- Evening activities: Assist with providing fun evening group activities for patients staying overnight in the hospital. Activities might include crafts, parties, movie nights and more! (Weekday evenings from 6 – 8 p.m.)
- Surgery waiting room assistance: Greet families in our warm, welcoming, child-friendly surgery waiting room. Assist families, offer directions and help, as needed. Our waiting room is busy and families appreciate the help! (Weekdays during daytime hours only.)
- Play date: Entertain children in the hospital by playing games, playing with toys, reading books or just being a friendly face! (Weekdays during daytime hours.)
- Therapy dog teams: Bring your certified therapy dog to visit Gillette patients and make them smile! Various shifts are available. Dogs must be currently certified through Pet Partners.
Many of our opportunities are perfect for people seeking to learn about health care careers. Some of our opportunities include:
- Child life: Thinking of becoming a child life specialist? Explore the profession by volunteering to provide play dates for children in the hospital during the daytime or doing evening activities.
- Rehabilitation therapies: This opportunity is perfect for physical or occupational therapy students or those thinking about careers in rehabilitation therapies. Assist with setting up therapy sessions and other department support (making copies, running errands, etc.). (Weekdays during daytime hours.)