Our summer volunteer program is for teens age 16 and 17. The program runs for eight weeks from mid-June through mid-August. We accept applications March 1 – 10 only. Applicants who submit their materials after March 10 go on a waiting list.
If you have questions about volunteering at Gillette, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651-578-5004.
Please note: We have a limited number of teen summer volunteer openings. Teen volunteers must:
- Be 16 or 17 years of age (applicants over 18 please apply for our adult hospital and clinic volunteer opportunities).
- Be able to volunteer for three hours, once a week, for the entire eight-week summer program.
- Attend a personal interview at the hospital.
- Attend a volunteer orientation session in May.
- Be available to volunteer during weekday hours.
- Be comfortable interacting with children who have disabilities.
- Commit to maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Provide documentation of a TST (Mantoux) test.
- Provide vaccination information.
Volunteer Application Process
When we are accepting volunteers, teens must:
- Complete an online application (only for students who are ages 16 or 17 and are applying for summer volunteer positions).
- Submit one teacher or guidance counselor reference form by March 31.
- Have a parent or guardian print, sign and return a parent release form by March 31.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications are complete when all forms (online application, reference form and parental release form) are submitted to Gillette Guest Services, Volunteer Program.
Volunteer Interviews and Selection
We will contact applicants who have submitted all required paperwork to provide them with additional information about the interview date, orientation session, and medical and health requirements.
Teen volunteers interact with patients and families as either an ambassador or by offering crafts in our waiting room.
- Daytime crafts: Feeling artistic? Offer arts and crafts activities (provided) to patients and their siblings. Craft activities are a great way to interact with our patients and their families! (Weekdays only.)
- Greeter: Welcome patients and families to the hospital. Assist them with strollers and wheelchairs, escort them to appointments, and deliver flowers and gifts to patient rooms. (Weekdays only. Must be able to walk comfortably, push wheelchairs and lift up to 20 pounds.)