What Result Do I Want?
You want to cleanse your bowel by producing large stools until the bowel is clear.
How Do I Accomplish An Initial Bowel Clean Out With Magnesium Citrate?
- Plan ahead. To avoid unpredictable bowel accidents, do not make plans to be away from the bathroom after the bowel clean out has started and until you have cleared out your colon.
- Purchase magnesium citrate (Mag Citrate) oral solution 195-300 ml, given once or in divided doses, and two Fleet Enemas. Buy these items from your local pharmacy with or without a prescription. Look for it in the laxative section. If you need help, ask the pharmacist.
- Use magnesium citrate. Follow the instructions on the box. It might help to chill the magnesium citrate before drinking. You may pour over ice or dilute (water-down) this solution.
- Use 1st Fleet Enema. Use rectally in the evening, after magnesium citrate. Follow the instructions on the box.
- Use 2nd Fleet Enema the next morning.
- Then begin your daily maintenance bowel program.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of your health care providers. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or others on your health care team. If you are a Gillette patient with urgent questions or concerns, please contact Telehealth Nursing at 651-229-3890.