How to Change a Low-Profile G-Tube Balloon Button
Home / Your Visit / Patient Education / How to Change a Low-Profile G-Tube Balloon Button
Supplies: G-Tube button low-profile kit, syringe, and water
- Wash hands
- Be sure you have the correct button size. Verify the French size and stoma length. “French” means the width of the tube. Stoma length is the length of the G-Tube tract.
- Prior to placing, inflate the balloon on the new button using the balloon port on the g-tube button to the recommended fill volume using water. Make sure there are no signs of leakage. Deflate the balloon.
- Lubricate the stoma site, or the area on the abdomen where the G-Tube is inserted, with a lubricant, such as K-Y or lubricating jelly. DO NOT use oils or petroleum jelly as a lubricant.
- Deflate the balloon of the inserted button by inserting a syringe into the balloon fill port and withdrawing the water.
- Pull up gently and remove the device from the stoma with slow and steady pressure.
- Apply a water-soluble lubricant to the tip of the device. You may have a blue or white stiffener in your kit to place in the G-Tube and help guide placement.
- Gently press the tip of the G-Tube through the stoma and into the stomach until the outside of the tube is flat against the stomach.
- Remove stiffener if used.
- Fill a syringe with the correct volume of water and attach it to the balloon fill port and inflate the balloon to the recommended fill volume.
- Gently pull on the G-Tube and check for signs of leaking.
- Wipe any fluid or lubricant from the tube and stoma.
- Check the tube for correct placement by inserting an extension set into the feeding port. Then, unclamp the extension set and listen for air and/or attach the syringe and pull the syringe plunger back to look for stomach contents such as formula or gastric fluid.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of your health care providers. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or others on your health care team. If you are a Gillette patient with urgent questions or concerns, please contact Telehealth Nursing at 651-229-3890.