Knee immobilizers are made of soft canvas, with a felt liner secured by aluminum stays and fabric fastener (Velcro-like) straps. They are used for postoperative positioning and flexion contractures and also can be used to stabilize the knee.
How to Apply
- Pre-position your leg and knee immobilizer. The immobilizer should be centered on the leg with equal distance from the inside ankle bone and inseam.
- Tightly secure the strap just above the kneecap. This is critical to maintain knee extension.
- Wear the immobilizer over clothing such as sweat pants, pajamas or other loose pants.
Caring for Your Orthosis
- Hand wash, air dry.
- Dry completely before reapplying.
- Inspect your orthosis daily. If it needs repair, call 651-290-8707 to make an appointment with an orthotist.
This information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the advice of your health care providers. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or others on your health care team.