Ann Van Heest, MD
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Orthopedic Hand Surgeon; Professor, University of Minnesota Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Orthopedics - Hand
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM) All Congenital Hand and Upper Limb Anomalies Cerebral Palsy Arthrogryposis Birth Brachial Plexus Injury All Pediatric Hand and Upper Limb Conditions
Ann Van Heest, MD, is a recognized expert in the field of hand and upper extremity orthopedics. She is an accomplished researcher with contributions to more than 50 papers and presentations. Much of her research has a focus on innovations in surgical simulation. Her advanced training (fellowship) in hand surgery was completed at Harvard University.
In addition to clinical care, she is a professor at the University of Minnesota Orthopedics Department. Her accolades have included being resident teacher of the year and hand fellowship teacher of the year. She also received the University of Minnesota Award for Outstanding Contributions to Graduate Education and was the recipient of the ACGME Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award.
Dr. Van Heest is an active member of the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery Board of Directors, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Pediatric Hand Study Group, Congenital Hand Anomalies Study Group. She is board certified in orthopedic surgery and hand surgery.
Pediatric Hand and Upper Limb Conditions
All Congenital Hand and Upper Limb Anomalies
Fellowship in Hand and Upper Extremity Disorders, Harvard University
Orthopedic Residency, University of Minnesota
Medical School, University of Minnesota
I enjoy partnering with families in the care of their children to maximize each child's potential. My areas of special interest are hand and upper extremity, with special focus in children who have arthrogryposis, cerebral palsy, brachial plexus birth injuries, as well as congenital hand differences such as syndactyly, polydactyly and hand deficiencies.
- Medical School:
- University of Minnesota
- Orthopedic Surgery, University of Minnesota
- Hand and Upper Extremity Disorders, Harvard University
- Board Certification(s):
- Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery; Board Certified in Hand Surgery
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery Board of Directors
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Pediatric Hand Study Group
- Congenital Hand Anomalies Study Group
Find a list of Dr. Ann Van Heest's publications here.
About our Care Team
Providers from across the nation and the world refer children to Gillette because we have stayed the course for 125 years, focused on some of the toughest challenges in pediatric healthcare. Our unceasing commitment has led to a deep - and always growing - expertise in complex conditions.