What Is Social Work?
In a hospital setting, family social workers specialize in helping families through the psychological and social effects of managing health care needs. This can include helping kids and parents adjust to new diagnoses or injuries, coordinating care, coping with life and health transitions, and locating community resources.
All of our social workers for children are licensed by the Minnesota Board of Social Work, and many are clinically licensed as well. Our goal is to promote collaboration among patients, families and health care providers. In addition, we help you find resources related to child social services, financial assistance programs, personal care assistance, therapy services and education.
How Social Work Can Help
Our social workers provide you with emotional support and practical guidance.
Preparation and support can help to reduce stress and promote healing for your child. That’s why social workers at Gillette are available to help your family with:
- Navigating the often complex world of health care.
- Information and referrals to hospital and community resources, including financial assistance, county services and more.
- Assessment of your child’s psychosocial needs.
- Help obtaining medical equipment, home care and logistics related to your travel to Gillette such as meals, lodging and parking.
- Short-term counseling to help with emotional and psychological distress related to health care.
- Counseling about issues of grief, loss and transition.
- Crisis intervention, including addressing issues of mental health and safety concerns.
- Preparing for the transition to adulthood, including adult-focused services and care at Phalen Adult Clinic.
- Education and assistance related to questions about guardianship.
- Support in preparing for discharge following a hospital stay.
Mental Health Resources
One of the ways Gillette Children’s provides support is by helping our patients and their families connect to needed resources and information. Learn more about available mental health resources.