- What is your position and role at Gillette? What is your average day like? My title is fundraising communications specialist, and I write things like brochures and event programs to support Gillette’s fundraising efforts. An average day here includes a good bit of writing, maybe an interview with a family, a few consultations with our talented designers, and brainstorming meetings to help kick off new fundraising efforts. Most recently, I’ve worked on the CurePity Heroes campaign, which asks the public to share stories of kids, adults and groups who personify CurePity. For every submission we receive, CenturyLink makes a donation to Gillette
- 2. Do you have a favorite Gillette memory or story? My favorite Gillette memory was interviewing the parents of Jim Grimm, who was a patient here for more than 30 years before he passed away in 2009 at 42. His family has been working closely with Gillette to promote our Integrative Care Fund. His parents shared memories of their son and insights about how music and massage therapies can complement traditional treatments. When you think of music therapy, you might think of something light like the sound of a gentle waterfall, but for Jim, it was heavy metal music that soothed him. I walked away wanting to do anything I could to help this family meet their fundraising goals.
- Do you have any children or pets? Yes! Our son, Charlie, is 2 and hilarious. We have a pug named Mister Tuppence, who’s also a great comedian.
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? I’d go to either Florence, Italy, because I’ve always wanted to visit, or Memphis, Tennessee, because I’m homesick for the friends, family and food that I love so much there.
- What is one fun fact about you? I got married at Graceland Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas in a $16 dress from the Salvation Army. After the ceremony, my husband and I took the city bus back to our hotel and snuck into a luau. It was a budget wedding befitting two poor students, and it was perfect.
Meet Us Monday- Betsy Taylor, Fundraising Communications Specialist
July 28, 2014