What Is Orthotics?
Orthotics is the branch of mechanical and medical science dedicated to the support and bracing of weak joints or muscles.
Many children and teens who have disabilities and injuries need assistance from braces (also known as orthoses). Gillette Children’s is a leading Minnesota provider of orthoses and related care. At Gillette, your child can receive a custom-designed orthotics solution, and education on how to use it. Your child's orthotic can be customized transfer patterns and decals that they can select. View all the patterns and decals available for orthotics.
Conditions Orthotics Treats
Custom orthotics can help kids who have a wide variety of complex conditions and injuries, such as:
- Cerebral palsy.
- Flat head syndrome (also known as deformational plagiocephaly).
- Muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy and other neuromuscular conditions.
- Other orthopedic and neuromuscular conditions.
The braces we use to treat such conditions might include:
- Ankle-foot orthoses (also known as AFOs or AFO braces).
- The Gillette CranioCap® orthosis for flat head syndrome.
- Spine and cervical orthoses like back braces or scoliosis braces.
- Specially designed footwear and inserts.
All Gillette orthotists are certified by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics, Inc.
When your family comes to Gillette for orthotics services, you likely will work with certified specialists in a variety of disciplines. To meet your child’s needs, our internationally recognized teams develop custom treatment plans that might include the following treatment areas:
In addition to these specialty areas, your child might benefit from our assistive technology services at clinics throughout the Twin Cities and in communities throughout greater Minnesota.
Through Gillette Adult Services, we also offer ongoing care for teens and adults whose needs continue into adulthood.